Monday, April 11, 2011

Orbiting Io

Alchemist. Janine Lim, thoughtfully describes identity, motherhood, household maintenance and nurturing her daughter as, “the most important job in the world.” but that, " post-baby, [her] work was largely unseen."


She confides that, "the only time I felt that my work was noticed was when I failed (or appeared to fail) to do it—like when the house was a wreck, or there was no dinner, or my child was losing it at the grocery store. In this way, a good job assumed a quality of invisibility; the better it was done, the less you noticed it."


Lim flips the switch and transforms the virtually unseen into plain sight. She relates that, “creating visibility, to capture a moment in time is also to assign it worth. In this sense, photographing my work at home has become a process of self-validation and an opportunity to assign value to my own labor. I do it to honor myself and the women of the world who deserve illumination.”


An intimate portrait of young mother demonstrating command of thought, heart and courage.


Read more essays on, Orbiting Io.

No comments: